(21) Rebuttal: Responding to C.S. Lewis's "Why I Am Not a Pacifist"
C.S. Lewis is a great and respected Christian thinker who was adamantly opposed to pacifism. We'll take a look at what he had to say and discuss how much weight his arguments carry.
- A huge thanks to Joseph McDade for his generous permission to use his music: https://josephmcdade.com/
- Discord Discussion Board: https://disboard.org/server/474580298630430751
- Why I Am Not a Pacifist (1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2xY2k26HFo
- Why I Am Not a Pacifist (2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jreq3mVvDgc
Lewis's Arguments and Further Resources
- #1a - Pacifism is Ineffective: Episode 4 https://thefourthway.transistor.fm/episodes/the-case-for-christian-nonviolence-logic-and-intuition
- #1b - Pacifism Fails to Seek the Greatest Good: Episode 7 https://thefourthway.transistor.fm/episodes/rebuttal-evil-in-refusing-to-do-good
- #2 - Pacifism is Passive: Episode 5 https://thefourthway.transistor.fm/episodes/the-case-for-christian-nonviolence-the-real-world
- #3 - Pacifism Universally Rejected Throughout History: Episode 3 https://thefourthway.transistor.fm/episodes/the-case-for-christian-nonviolence-historical-evidence
- #4 - Pacifism Refuses Submission to Government Service: Episode 12 https://thefourthway.transistor.fm/episodes/rebuttal-romans-13
- #5 - Pacifism Rests on Inconsistently Applied Biblical Claims of Jesus: Episode 2 https://thefourthway.transistor.fm/episodes/the-case-for-christian-nonviolence-biblical-evidence
- #6 - Pacifism Avoids Sacrifice: Episode 16 https://thefourthway.transistor.fm/episodes/rebuttal-the-nonviolent-position-devalues-the-sacrifice-of-soldiers
- See Season 2 for discussion of consequentialism: https://thefourthway.transistor.fm/episodes/consequentialism-the-heart-of-compromise