(13) Rebuttal: Romans 13 Part 2
Ghandi said, "There's hope for a violent man to become nonviolent, but not for a coward." Politics has a way of showing us the cowardice behind many of us who cling to violence and coercion. We are scared that if we don't put our leader in office, we will suffer persecution or fail to get our way in the nation. Fear, as we saw in 2016, makes people run to the ballot box. People are scared that integrity may lead to sacrifice, so we compromise with a lesser of two evils, consequentialist moral ethic. There is no hope of peace because we are steeped in fear. The second part in our Romans 13 episode takes a look at the implications of a nonviolent view of Romans 13 in the real world. If violence isn't on the table for Christians, and if the government bears the sword, what does that mean for our political involvement? I try to paint a picture of two ways of living to help you see how we often misplace our hopes and resources, and how we often undervalue the true power of the Kingdom life. While living nonviolently may mean a loss of power in one sense, it may mean grasping the only true source of power as Jesus reveals. *I didn't do a good job of explaining this in the episode, but there are a very broad range of views pacifists take as to what participation in government looks like. I am still not sure where I stand. The view I present in this episode is more of a pendulum swing all the way to one side - showing what the extreme may look like. From there you can figure out where you lie on the spectrum.
- A huge thanks to Joseph McDade for his generous permission to use his music: https://josephmcdade.com/
- Discord Discussion Board: https://disboard.org/server/474580298630430751
- Hauerwas Video on Voting as Coercion (Hauerwas): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkOvSNtGfSw
- Voting: An Abdication of Responsibility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiiyZsCzP9k
- Jesus Established a Politic of Christianity (Hauerwas): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBAs9jmanzs
- The Politics of Jesus: https://www.amazon.com/Politics-Jesus-John-Howard-Yoder/dp/0802807348/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+politics+of+Jesus&qid=1566062176&s=gateway&sr=8-2
- The Myth of a Christian Nation: https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Christian-Nation-Political-Destroying/dp/0310267315/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+myth+of+a+christian+nation&qid=1583004622&sr=8-2
- Article Discussing the Trump Presidency and Christian Political (in)action: https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/p/will-somebody-please-hate-my-enemies?fbclid=IwAR1OC3OJgGO_yYPSs5neySFQZOg6lzGRRFWx3ZoeeBdPltFKY3glSbA_b1w (takeaway pulled from the article below).
"Here’s the end result—millions of Christians have not just decided to hire a hater to defend them from haters and to hire a liar to defend them from liars, they actively ignore, rationalize, minimize, or deny Trump’s sins. They do this in part because they can’t bring themselves to face the truth about Trump and in part because they know it is difficult to build and sustain a political movement if you’re constantly (or even frequently) criticizing the misconduct of its leader. To criticize Trump even a quarter of the time he does something wrong would be to unleash a constant drumbeat of criticism against the man they hope to re-elect. "
"...I’ve been pro-life from the moment I understood what abortion was. I formed a pro-life club at Harvard Law School that existed for two decades. I’ve worked for the most powerful pro-life legal organizations in America, and I’ve represented pro-life students (pro bono) in cases from coast-to-coast. I’ve helped raise millions of dollars for pro-life causes. I’ve never voted for a pro-choice politician, and I don’t ever intend to. But in more than three decades of pro-life work, I’ve understood two things quite clearly—the defense of the unborn does not justify sin, and the battle for the unborn is far more spiritual and cultural than it is legal and political. "
- Derek’s summary of the “Politics of Jesus”: https://www.dckreider.com/blog-theological-musings/the-politics-of-jesus
- Electing Not to Vote: https://www.amazon.com/Electing-Not-Vote-Christian-Reflections/dp/1556352271/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=electing+not+to+vote&qid=1567712015&s=gateway&sr=8-1
- Essay on Civil Disobedience (Thoreau): https://users.manchester.edu/Facstaff/SSNaragon/Online/texts/201/Thoreau,%20CivilDisobedience.pdf
- My Book (Free): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1524xtT4iKmqr7pATaKnXTMZlwk_aONXG
- My Book (Kindle): https://www.amazon.com/80-Conservative-Evangelicals-Prove-Relativists-ebook/dp/B07RDPW2NZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=j.+g.+elliot&qid=1564647522&s=gateway&sr=8-1
- Kierkegaard on Politics: https://www.plough.com/en/topics/justice/politics/politics-and-the-state
- Excerpt from Bonhoeffer: https://www.plough.com/en/topics/justice/nonviolence/nonviolence-an-impossible-ideal
Psalm 2: https://www.biblestudytools.com/psalms/2.html
1 Why do the nations conspireand the peoples plot in vain?